Golden Milk-- The Tasty Immunity Booster You Didn't Know You Needed
Today, if you’re willing to spend a solid five minutes in the kitchen, we have a most satisfyingly delicious, antioxidant-filled, mind-soothing treat for you. You might be wondering how a mere five minutes of work can yield such promising results, but they can.
Do you have a jar of turmeric in your spice rack? It’s that beautiful yellow spice that gives the color to many Indian dishes, such as curry and yellow rice. Inside turmeric is a chemical called curcumin, which is quite magical in its own rite.
Benefits of curcumin:
· It fights infection and boosts immunity, a must for cold and flu season
· It fights inflammation in the body, which in turn, helps the heart perform more efficiently and improves the health of joints and muscles
· It increases liver function, which helps your body detoxify more effectively
· It gets rid of abnormal proteins in the brain, which increases brain function
· It supports weight loss (keyword being supports, meaning you must use it as a supplement to a clean diet and consistent fitness plan)
· It naturally enhances the mood, which is key during this gloomy season of the year
· It is excellent for skin health
Curcumin isn’t perfect, though. It can be difficult for the body to absorb, so in order to override this flaw, all we need to do is consume turmeric along with black pepper. Once we do that, the bioavailability (which is the proportion of a substance which enters the circulation and has an effect on the body) increases by up to 2000%! Black pepper for the win.
Did you know that all those benefits were waiting for you in that brilliant little container of yellow stuff? It’s almost too good to be true! But that’s not even all of what it has to offer. The spice is delectable, and when you introduce your taste buds to this Golden Milk recipe, you’re going to want to partake in a cup of this magical elixir on a daily basis.
Now, we’ve heard people say, “I tried something like that from a tea bag, and I didn’t like it.” Listen, if you tried something like this from a tea bag, you didn’t try this at all. There is no substitute for this drink. Forget about what you thought you knew of Golden Milk, and give the recipe a try. Here’s what you’ll need:
2 cups of your milk of choice (cow’s milk, almond milk, and rice milk are all good options. If you’re battling a sickness, opt out of the cow’s milk, which is a mucous-producer.)
1 tbsp of organic turmeric
½ tbsp. of cinnamon
1 pinch of black pepper (to help increase the turmeric’s absorption in your body)
1 tsp of honey or maple syrup
¼ inch slice of fresh peeled ginger root OR ¼ tsp of ginger powder (you’ll want the root if you can get it, though)
1 pinch of cayenne pepper (This is optional, but we don’t recommend you skip it!)
In a blender, mix all the ingredients together. Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan, and heat on the stove for 3-5 minutes. Be careful not to boil it. Pour into a mug, curl up for a scrumptious experience, and drink immediately.